Monday, January 09, 2006

The Promise, 无殛

I've only watched two movies in the cinema last year, Kung Fu in January was totally worth it; and The Promise at the very end of the year. But that's only cos I got some free cinema vouchers only valid in 2005. I waited and waited till the very last day of the year and there was still nothing worth watching on the big screen.

You must have the right expectations before you walk into a movie theatre, or you'll be served with disappointment almost every time.

The Promise is directed by Chen Kaige, famed director of Farewell My Concubine, and The Emperor and the Assassin.

I had enjoyed The Assassin immensely. Asides from the sheer grandeur of the battle scenes, the dialogue was the most enjoyable. The mandarin accent spoken throughout the whole movie was elegant and beautiful. It's like watching Obi-Wan do Shakespeare. (The old Obi-Wan, not the coke-head one.)

So, when watching The Promise, I was expecting a fantasy story, good directing, and beautifully spoken mandarin.

The movie scored one out of three.

And also, I never expected to see a Korean Superman. [He's faster than a speeding bullet. As strong as a locomotive. Orphaned, the last of his people. Came from a country where everyone dressed in white robes and lived in igloos. He can turn back time to save his love. And he flies.]

Another disappointment was the Korean and Japanese male leads. What the hell, are there no more good looking chinese actors left?! I have no problem with their acting performance. But their mandarin accent lacked authenticity. Which just spoiled it for me.

The plot is ludicrious. But it's a fantasy, so that much was forgiveable.

There's some pathetic CGI, which was distracting. It interfered with the suspension of belief when immersing yourself in the movie. The fake battle scene only reminded me of a computer game.

The one saving grace of the movie? It has Cecilia Cheung.

No comments: