Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Gotta get a bike, Gotta paint it red

Something in Dracula from Houston must have been subliminal... Cos I went and bought this, which I had been eyeing for a while. Managed to bargain the price down to a cool RM650. Bought it off a Malay bike enthusiast who's moving up to an RM3900 bike frame.

It's a full suspension mountain bike frame. A Haro Extreme EX2. Why a full-sus bike? A less bumpy ride. And from the looks of the reviews I'm reading, it sounds as tough as a VW bug. Or maybe it's just out of some deep-seated paternal instinct to protect my boys...

Well, what follows now is to transplant the rest of my bike componentry from my 2yr old Scott Voltage YZ4 over to this new old bike.

Bought my Scott at a good discount 2yrs back, for commuting, and to push up Bt Kiara (my skill level is far from able to ride most of those trails). And since then, I have upgraded every component on the bike. The Scott is still a beautiful bike frame with one little minor flaw...

It's missing two eyelets for bolting on a disc brake for the rear wheel. Found that out when I bought a pair of mechanical disc brakes last week. Thus, it gave me the extra impetus to buy this Haro frame. (Although this MOAB looks so much prettier....)

And next, I'll have to source a pair of wheel hubs too. The nearest bike shop is trying to scalp me for RM380 a pair. Am trying to find one at a quarter of that price....


And on some more serious news... Alan Greenspan retires from the US Federal Reserves at 80, and gold popped up to USD570 per troy ounce, an all new high in decades.

No comments: