Friday, November 17, 2006

You can never please your parents…

Parents have all kinds of expectations for their children. Because they contributed DNA, they have God given rights to make their offsprings jump through hoops their entire life. Offsprings are also bred and trained to seek approval from their parents, thus completing the circle.

During childhood, their expectations were simple.

"Sit down! And shut up!"

Those were simple days...

As you age, the goal posts are pulled ever further away.

"Study hard so you can get into a good school."

"Study hard so you can get into a good University."

"Find a husband/wife."

"Give us some grandchildren."

"Make your boy/girl study hard so he/she can get into a good school."

...ad nauseum...

Last year when my parents came over, I was still in the middle of DIY-ing my kitchen. So there was a small mess in the living room.

I never heard the end of that.

This time around, before they arrived, I did a lot of cleaning. Vacuumed and mopped the floors. Scrubbed the bathrooms. Especially the outside bathroom, which until last month, was used by a tenant. Thankfully, she had moved out end of last month.  Less RM220 of rental income, (cheap cheap cos I was helping out an old friend's ex-girlfriend), but I no longer have to worry about the loser boyfriend she brings home every other night. That kind of grief wasn't worth the pittance.

Anyway, the toilet... There were brown stains in the basin, and it looked filthier than my toilet bowl. Enough said.

So, I managed to get my house into some semblance of order. Particularly, I had to hide away some of my toys. Namely the WARMACHINE stuff. Else I won't hear the end of it... ("This is what you've been doing in lieu of giving us a grandchild?!?!").

Anyways, house cleaned. Mom came. Nothing but praises for the first few heartbeats, but praises tainted with grumbling reminders of the previous STY-ish state last year.

By the tenth heartbeat, she ran a finger across the top of the microwave and shoved the grimey finger in my face.

"Look at this oily grime! You have to clean your microwave often. You have to close the door when you cook. Don't let the oil fumes come into the house... etc etc..."

*sigh*

No comments: