Friday, November 24, 2006

Looney Tunes

Just 'got' a whole ton of Looney Tunes cartoons.

Lots of nostalgic moments.

My favourite will always be the Rabbit of Serville, an ingenious 'musical', with Bugs and Elmer, done to the track of Rossini's Barber of Serville.

But sometimes I wonder if watching so much of these in my childhood might have warped me somewhat.

Every character has a speech impediment, and a Brooklyn / Bronx accent, that might have worked itself into my speech pattern during my formative years.

And the RoadRunner physics took a few years to get over too.

Many a times too, I wish I knew where to get hold of some Acme products, like their Dehydrated Boulders. And I think some of my repressed pyromaniacal tendencies come from growing up thinking TNT was cool.

Also the misogyny. There were no female characters, with the possible exception of PePe le Phew's unfortunate targets, or the hens in Foghorn Leghorn's farm. Anytime a female animal is introduced, she's merely a plot device to make the protagonist become hormonally charged or act stupid.

No comments: