Monday, July 17, 2006

Google is getting a little too creepy

For those of you who are using GMail, you'll have noticed the Google Ad-Sense links along the side of your emails.

That's where Google takes certain words or phrases in your email, and try to conjecture what you might be interested in, and target you with the relevant paid ads. It's contextual advertising.

One thing I really adore about GMail, is how easy it is to access from anywhere. I frequently use it to back up files that I might need to access both from home and from the office, and save the 'mail' as a draft.

I also use the draft as a notebook for random ideas... Occassionally, I get ideas for writing a story or some such, and will type out some thoughts. Of course, I've never gotten around to developing any of these ideas into a story yet. But I just want to be sure that nothing escapes my subconscious that might one day be of some good.


So, I've got this draft, with a few funny quotes from Djinn Rummy, and then some random words like suicide hotline, religion, kervokian, split personality, FightClub hallucination,
mysticism???, detective, blind date, historical gaming etc...

Some really random and disjointed words really....

And suddenly, Google Ad-Sense started throwing me links to, www.firstwriter.com, www.writerscafe.co.uk, storymind.com, www.blogit.com etc....


WTF!?

How did the Google algorithms make that intuitive leap?
Granted that I had one line saying, "writing a creeping out story"...
But buried in between all those other random thoughts and concepts... It managed to single out that one single line, and started pointing me to links for writers!!


This is creepy.... Surely it would have made more sense if I at least got a link to purchase morphine without a perscription, or a blueprint for a euthanasia machine....

No comments: