Sunday, February 19, 2006

Batu Dam

Costed me a fair bit, even with some mad bargain hunting, but I've got Red up and running. Had to spend a bit on a new wheelset that's suitable for disc-brakes. RM420 for a pair of Taiwanese knock-off hubs and fancy looking wheel rims. That's still a third of what I'ld have to pay for fancy Shimano hubs and bling-bling Mavic rims. And putting most of the new components from Blue over, and I've got a nice ride.

Got itchy, and bought new Deore shifters. LBS guy (local bike shop, just across the street from my apartment) assured me that it'ld work with my SRAM derailleur. But after I brought it back, of course it didn't work. Wrong index ratio, I could only get 7-speeds with my 9-speed gear sprockets. So I had to buy a matching Deore LX rear derailleur, from a different branch of the same business, of course. At the same time, forwarded them some feedback of their new branch and staff.

Then I serviced all the old stock parts for Blue, put everything together. And fetched some more bits and pieces and to get Blue up and running also. Albeit with a crappy suspension fork and very old tyres. But it still rides sweet.


So now, I've got two mountain bikes. (Well, three, if I also count my old LeRun, but that's way too heavy for trail riding.) 2 bikes ADD 1 friend = Adventure.

So I inducted a friend into this activity. His wife threw a small fit at being excluded from the activity and called us Brokeback Mountain cowboys... hummmm.......


Anyway-s, we tackled the Batu Dam trail on Sunday. It's an excellent place to cut our teeth into off-road riding. A good part of it is scenic as well as easily rideable. Then comes an uphill bit where we have to get down and push. Then some moderately challenging downhills (which I did not attempt at full speed, cos I forgot my helmet), and some insane downhills. And plenty of leeches.

Some parts of the trail has been damaged. Locked wheels digging into the dirt and erosion created some treacherous ruts. And although some bits have been repaired, it is not as well maintained as Bt Kiara.

But it's still a hugely popular spot. Met no less than four groups on the trails.

At the north-most end of the lake, there's a refreshing stream where a few families were picnic-ing. We took a break there and soaked ourselves. The mountain water was so cold that I probably turned into a eunuch.

Then we took the way out onto the highway, and found our way back into the dam via a hole in the fence, thus completing a clockwise loop around the lake.


It was a good test ride for Red. Full suspension makes a difference. No sore buttocks. The boys are safe. And I can pedal across bumpy bits much more effectively.

No comments: