Friday, March 24, 2006

Hanoi Day 0: Getting to Singapore

The highway lights fly across the bus window in dizzying streaks of amber. The effect is pleasantly hypnotic, but it gets nauseating after a while. The journey is so smooth that the passing flashes of light is the only indication of motion.

It was worth the few extra dollars for the bus service with the newer fleet, with the better suspensions, and hopefully with the more well maintained brakes. Not to mention fresher seat cushions, greater elbow room, and more air to barrier my nose from the odours of my fellow passengers.

Asides from the risk of olfactory assault, a chaueffered Mercedes is really the best way to travel.

Although the engine may sound muted, giving the illusion of a leisurely pace, the bus is actually hurtling down the highway at breakneck speed. But such thoughts are best expunged from one's head once the course is already committed.

I'm sure bus drivers have to meet stringent criteria of safety and discipline to keep their well paying jobs. And like every sane creature created under God, they will similarly be motivated by instincts of self-preservation. My irrational fear for my safety must be entirely unfounded.

And I must be really tired if my mental boundaries of fantasy and reality are beginning to blur such.

----

Accidentally dug up this literary abortion from several years ago. I suppose it'll do to describe my bus trip down to Singapore.


Anyways, had a particular bad day of work. Several things just popped up all at the last minute that I have to settle before I can leave. But still manage to pop out 2hrs early to go home to pack.

Cab to the LRT station. Train to the city. Met up with a travelling companion going the same direction. Bought tix. Ate dinner. Choked on carbon monoxide fumes on platform while waiting for late bus. Get caught in rush hour traffic. Reach JB. Bus 170 to immigration. Over the causeway.

And reached Kranji MRT just 5 minutes after 11:28pm, too late to catch the last connecting train going east out of Jurong East St.

So, stuck at JE, but as luck would have it, I managed to catch a bus that still goes past Commonwealth Ave West, and that got me to Ben's place sometime after midnight.

Showered. Then used Ben's internet to finish up my course assignment and handed it up.

Yes, I'm pretty much a last minute kind of guy. My muse is strongest at the eleventh hour.

No comments: