Sunday, March 12, 2006

Engine Re-tuning

Thanks to this compression tester on the right, I was able to set my mind at ease about my car engine.

Took out all the spark-plugs of my engine, and tested each cylinder compression with it. What a freaking relief that all three cylinders registered more than 150psi, within my engine specs.

Which means the piston rings are still ok, as are the intake/exhaust valves, and no leaky gasket. Thus, no expensive overhaul needed.

Having eliminated the mechanical causes, I went back to re-check all the possible electrical problems.

Took out the distributor contacts, which I just replaced a few months ago. Found the contacts all burnt and pitted already. Must have set the dwell angle too high. Thus confirming my doubts about the accuracy of my Made In China dwell-meter.

Have no idea how to recalibrate the thing either. Guess the only thing to do will be to replace the contacts again, and set it to a lower dwell angle this time. In the meantime, I just filed down the contacts I have now till I can grab a new one.

Had to adjust engine timing as well. A procedure made more bothersome since I upgraded to shining new Bosch platinum-tipped spark-plugs. Somehow, with these new plugs, the current running down the resistive cords aren't triggering the inductive pick-up of my timing light. So I have to swap back the first spark-plug with an old one to do the timing.

Just took the car out for a spin, and it now runs ten times better.

Happiness.

Now, if only I could also take the time to clean out the bird-shit on the bonnet, which is marring my new barely one week old paint-job.

No comments: