Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Nuts

People who know me tend to regard me as somewhat weird. And I shouldn't pride myself on my eccentricities, but I do. I sometimes spend an inordinate amount of time pushing certain obsessions to a certain limit. (Just an inch shy of falling off the cliff into insanity, actually.)

For example, I've 'forged' my own ring. Just before Peter Jackson's screened his masterpiece, I've taken bits of broken jewellery and made a crude gold ring. Didn't have enough precious metal to make a band thick enough for anything wider than my little finger, but I was proud that I managed to get it into a good circle, without the use of proper jewellers' tools.

I've manufactured a set of lock-picks and learnt to pick small simple locks. Am far from good enough to be able to moonlight as a burglar, but it lets me get into locked desk drawers and cabinets and such. It sometimes earns me a miasma of 'cool'.

I've used water and chopped up bits of a lorry radiator to cool my computer processor, but that just makes me geek.

I own a Winsor & Newton brush, (MYR 40.00 for a few strands of 5mm long red sable hair), which totally outraged an artist friend who's still making do with chinese brushes. This is for my miniature painting, for dotting the eyes of 2in tall pewter figurines.

I have a huge collection of broken printers that I can't seem to throw away. My latest acquisition is a broken laser printer. Even if I could fix it, I doubt I can find new toner cartridges for it, so I expect that I'll most likely be ripping out the laser from this thing and possibly doing something unhealthy with it.


So you see, I'm pretty nuts.

And it's probably fortunate that I can't get my hands on more outrageous pieces of hardware to fool around with. Cos seriously, THIS is something I can see myself doing too, given the chance.

No comments: