Monday, December 04, 2006

Invisible Tenors

Happened to be in the area around PJ South last week. Lots of workshops there, so I took my car to a random one that does aircon servicing. And also to have the passenger window replaced at the same time.
Aircon died a few months ago. The Daihatsu service centre quoted me 1.2k to repair. Hmm... 1.2k to repair a 7k car. Didn't sound right. So I bore with till I could get a second opinion. These guys, I think a pair of twins with prematurely greying hair, actually took things apart to look for leaks etc.

The compressor was leaking. I needed a new one. And that's that.

Got a reconditioned compressor. Looked shiny.

But after the compressor went on, the car handles like I'm driving the 3 tenors up Genting.

This is crap.

Thought maybe I could re-tune the engine a bit... Took out the kit I bought in Melbourne and spent a few hours on my car.

Think there may be something wrong with my vacuum advancer. Doesn't seem to do anything to the engine timing... According to the manual, the timing should advance a few degrees when I suck on it.

Sheesh...

For all the tuning... The car still feels like there are 3 fat men sitting in the back.

But at least they're quiet.