Monday, June 12, 2006

Game: Twilight Imperium

Suffered a case of serious brain-fart last Saturday night... Made a social commitment that I wasn't quite ready for.

Some time around 1130pm at Settler's Cafe, I agreed to a game of Twilight Imperium. 3rd Edition, no less.

I didn't leave the cafe until 7am.

TI3 is a huge boardgame of galactic conquest. A game of space exploration, diplomacy, trade, techonology research, fleet production and space combat. All the great ingredients of galactic empire building.

But OMG! It takes FOREVER to play!!

I can't even begin to get into how the gameplay works... But it takes oodles and oodles of time to play. Don't even buy the game unless you have a cadre of insane friends to play it with.

And incidentally, I have more than a passing acquaintance with insanity.

Granted this being the case... But there's no denying that this IS the best space strategy boardgame by far. And a 6-person game of TI3 is an experience that is not within the realm of possibility for many people. (Due to the inability of finding 5 other people mad enough to play with). Although Sunday became a Shaun-like haze for me, I think the experience was quite satisfying.

No comments: